Saturday, January 14, 2012

School

I started school on January 3, and I was going to make a post about it but I thought I'd give it a couple of weeks so I'd have more to say. I'm doing Office Administration, which is something I wanted to do since I was like 10 and decided I didn't really want to be a carpenter like my Daddy. And yes, I really did believe I wanted to do that. It's so funny thinking back on it now, because I definitely am not interested in cabinet making! Ha ha.
My classes are fairly simple. I hate saying that because I feel like I'm going to jinx myself and fail everything! But they're all "Intro" classes. Introduction to Business, Introduction to Accounting and whatnot. So we haven't really gotten into it yet because this is only the end of Week 2.
Also, our computer classes seem really simple to me too. We're "learning" how to use Word! Which is something I've been using for about 10 years already. But some people in my class aren't familiar with it, so it's beneficial to them.
I think I have an advantage because I've already worked in office environments and have used all these programs and things. That definitely helped me out!
The typing is the hardest part! I was introduced to computers when I was really young, but I never bothered to learn the proper way. I can type super fast, without looking at the keyboard or the screen... but that doesn't matter if you're not doing it "properly". I always knew that with what I was planning on doing with my life that I'd need to learn but I'm a really bad procrastinator, so I'd always say "I'll worry about that later." Ha ha. But I'm learning! And it's getting easier!
The only thing I'm really worried about it my speeches. We have to do 3 speeches, and the last one is our term paper (15 pages needed to be turned into a 5 minute speech!). I'm terrible at public speaking!
I really like my school. I'm going to a different school for night classes, and it's horrible. I've had nothing but a bad experience there. I was originally going to do their Office Admin program but after the experience I've had, when I'm done there for my night classes I'm never looking back.
I was really nervous at first, because I left high school in 2007 and it's been 5 years. I'm only 23 but I thought I'd be the oldest there! Turns out I'm one of the youngest! Goes to show you that it's never too late to go back to school!

No comments:

Post a Comment